SYMBIO WILDLIFE PARKEdit
Lawrence Hargrave Drive, Helensburgh NSW 2508 Sydney, Australia
phone: 02 4294 1244
international: +61 2 42491244
Volunteers come from all walks of life to join the Symbio crew. Here you can work with dedicated people, from whom you can gain knowledge, developing your own professional and personal skills. Volunteers are an important part of the team, and we welcome their involvement and enthusiasm.
People volunteer for many different reasons: to learn what it's like to be a zoo keeper, to gain experience to further their careers, or just for the personal satisfaction of their efforts.
There are many benefits to volunteer work. It's a great way to show potential employers that you are hard-working, dedicated to giving back to the community, and to make a contribution to conservation. You will also learn more about the animals themselves. In addition, it's a fun and rewarding way to spend your free time in the best office in town, surrounded by amazing animals from all over the world.
If you are enthusiastic, dependable, friendly, out-going, interested in conservation, and you enjoy working outdoors, you may be just what we are looking for. You will get to hang out with some of our amazing and interesting animals.
Our Volunteers help out with lots of different tasks, including, but not limited to:
*Making sure our enclosures are in excellent condition by Sweeping, hosing, raking, cleaning windows, and of course, cleaning up poo (and there is no shortage of it)
- Preparing food and treats that our animals enjoy
- Making toys for some of our more inquisitive residents
- Helping guests as they wander through the park
- Performing public presentations/keeper talks to the visitors and to school groups
- Roving walks with certain animals like our dingoes, possums and reptiles
To be a Volunteer at Symbio you must meet the following commitments:
*You must be 18 yrs or older.
- Do the same hours as our keepers, 7:20 – 4:30 and work in all weathers (rain or shine).
- It is a minimum requirement that you have an up to date tetanus vaccination. It is desirable that volunteers have their hepatitis A & B vaccinations, this is compulsory before volunteers can work with primates.
- It is a minimum one day per week commitment (you choose which day, and you can change your day if needed). Special arrangements may be considered if completing a relevant course where more hours are required.
- The first day is a trial day and the following 4 weeks are a compulsory probationary period. Your progress will be assessed on your first and fifth day, and, every 6 months.
- 2 passport photos must accompany your volunteer application.
- We require a $50 donation in the form of a money order or cheque, as a conservation contribution and to cover your training. This is to accompany your application and is non-refundable.
To apply to become a Volunteer simply download and read the